Pomegranate (punica granatum) is a fruit bearing deciduous shrub in the family Lythraceae, subfamily Punicoideae, that grows between 5 and 10 m (16 and 33 ft) tall. The following is a list of antioxidants and phytonutrients specific to each part of the pomegranate:
- Juice: Anthocyanins, ellagic acid, gallic acid, catechins, quercetin, vitamin C.
- Seeds: Conjugated linolenic acid (CLA), linolenic acid, oleic acid, punicic acid.
- Peel and pulp: Quercetin, gallagic acid, kaempferol, punicalagin.
- Roots and bark: Gallic acid, punicotannic acid, mannite, pelletierine, n-methylisopelletierine.
- Flower: Oleanolic acid, gallic acid, ursolic acid, anthocyanins.
Benefits of pomegranates are as follows:
- Relieves stomach disorders (Pomegranate peel, bark, and leaves are used to calm stomach disorders or diarrhea caused by any kind of digestive problems).
- Reduce heart problems (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory components in this fruit help keep bad cholesterol from accumulating and thus, help keep the arteries clear of any clots).
- Anticancer potential (Pomegranates contain high levels of antioxidants called flavonoids and flavonoids are known to counteract various cancer-causing free radicals).
- Dental care (antibacterial and antiviral properties help reduce the formation of dental plaque and protect against various oral diseases).
- Prevent osteoarthritis (anti-inflammatory effects of pomegranate may inhibit cartilage degradation in osteoarthritis and prevent the creation of enzymes that are responsible for the breakdown of connective tissues within the body).
- Treat anemia (Pomegranates supply iron to the blood, thus helping reduce symptoms of anemia like exhaustion, dizziness, weakness, and hearing loss).
- Anti-diabetic properties (the juice, peel and seed extract help decrease blood glucose levels).
- Treat erectile dysfunction (the juice is shown to improve erectile dysfunction).
- They help control acne and aging problems like wrinkles.
Side effects of pomegranate:
- May cause allergies.
- May interact with certain drugs.
- May lower blood pressure too much.